Rabu, 18 Januari 2017

disconnected

Here is the thing with social media: you can be too connected. You get those news you don't want to hear, you get those gossips you don't want to know, you hear people complaining their life you don't even care.

For these couple years, I have had to try blending in with people - especially at work -, so I got myself into some chat groups. It was initially for informational purpose, but it's changed when people involved in the group got personal attachment to each other. It turns into something I don't fancy: public diary of complaining, achievement, gossips, etc etc etc. People start complaining their problem, complaining their job, complaining their earnings, complaining their mom-to-be problems, complaining almost everything. Too much negativity in a pond of words.

At the end of 2016, something personal happened to me that I start to wonder why I have the needs to be connected. I don't really find anything important. In fact, I find myself longing for personal direct conversation and interaction. I find that most interaction in those chat groups were meaningless and purposeless.

Then, I started to withdraw myself from any conversation there.

It feels good to be disconnected. It feels good choosing not to involved in any meaningless connection. It feels good to not care about what people complaining about, and it feels good to really ignoring things you don't like.

Disconnected doesn't merely mean that one should shut the world. It's just about considering with whom you really want to be connected, how you want to be connected, and what is the meaning of being connected.

0 komentar: